Contributors

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Adventures in Lotion Making!

This week I started the endeavor of making my own lip balm, lotion and sunscreen. I wanted a all natural product but didn't want to pay $17 for 6 ounces of sunblock! So I thought I would make some from scratch...it is all surprising easy to make! :)



This picture above is the sunscreen cooking.




The picture below is the final product. It smells great and the consistancy is good as well. :)


I wish I could say that everything I made turned out wonderful at first try...but that wouldn't be the fun of learning to do something new. The picture below was suppose to be a sun block paste, making it a little more water resistant. As you can see from the picture...it did not turn out right. I have no idea what I did wrong but it was separated and super gross looking. Oh well, as we speak I am trying out a new recipe...so far it is looking much better!


The lip balm turned out great as well, I flavored it peppermint. :)

I also made my own vanilla extract this week...it takes 2 months to be ready to use but I think is well worth the wait for amazing organic extract!



I'm going to test out the stuff I made with a few friends & family, see what I need to change and then hopefully be able to offer it to others at a low price. :)

2 comments:

Cydney Kyhn said...

That's so awesome Jill!! I never would have thought of that, I'd love to try those recipes sometime!

Jill said...

Jill! Feel free to have me test it out for you! :) I'm just saying. Everyone loves a little peppermint lip balm!