Contributors

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pickled Beets!

I planed beets in my garden and a few of them were ready. I honestly have never eaten a fresh beet...only canned and really had no idea what to do with them. My mom use to make picked beets & eggs and I always loved them. So, that is what I did with my freshly grown beets & my backyard chicken eggs!
 First I boiled the eggs & beets at the same time...which of course turned the water to a bright pink very quickly
 I mixed together 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1 cup of the boiled beet water and 1/3 cup of sugar. Put the eggs & beets in the jar and closed it up in the frig for 24 hours.
They turned out a beautiful bright pink and are delicious! Of course the taste is preference and no one in my family is fighting me to eat them. Actually every time I open the jar they all complain of the smell. :)

It brings back memories of childhood and I think it will be fun to pass it along to my future generations. I have this idea in my head that someday my grandkids or greatkids will come across this recipe (since I print out my blog annually) and start using this recipe in their home! :)

No comments: