Contributors

Monday, November 14, 2011

Life lessons through trash can

Say hello to my new compost trash can. I picked it up at the dump at the City of Phoenix. They have a recycling program where they take broken or graffitied cans and drill holes in and cut off bottom for composting. When I arrived I was bummed that the only one they had available was one covered in graffiti. I was thinking that maybe I could paint the whole can or something to make it look more pretty.

But...leave it to Mark to teach me a great life lesson from it. When he saw it he thought it was so great that it had graffiti all over! That something that was messed up and no one wanted any longer has now been created to be something of new use. That not only is it to be used for a new purpose but that the thing that happens inside the can which is smelly, gross & messy when put in is one day transformed into a rich soil that will be used to sustain growth and life.

I printed the above picture and taped it to my bathroom mirror. To remind me constantly that the things that happen to me in life aren't always pretty...and that I'm not always pretty. But I have been created with the beautiful gift and ability of not allowing what others say or what my circumstances are to define who I am on the inside.

I'm thankful for the transforming power of grace.