Contributors

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Do you have a rubber glove??

Our chickens are doing great and I think are probably full grown now, they are 5 1/2 months old and should any day now start giving us some eggs. We can hardly wait...I honestly don't know how people wait the full 6 months when buying from chicks, it feels like we have had them so long but I guess it's only been 2 months.

Cover your eyes, the next picture is pretty gross! :) Yesterday while I was cleaning the coop I noticed my chicken had a ball of tissue coming out his hind end. Of course I was worried for her and had no idea what to do. I called Jill who has helped me out with my chicken questions in the past and she didn't know, she said to call the lady I bought them from. So I called her and they didn't know, so I posted a help question on the permaculture website (which if you are interested in gardening or chickens it is a must go to!). I had a answer this morning from someone, whew. At least I knew what it was and what to do even though it could be life threatening for her. Her condition is called Prolapse and basically it happens when chickens are having too much strain from pushing a egg out or too big of egg. Well, we don't have any eggs yet, but obviously this girls body parts are getting ready.

Needless to say the remedy is not pleasant. This morning after reading a bunch I was ready to take on the task of healing her up. Steps to be taken was this...clean the tissue, put on honey to make it retract (natural remedy), push it in (yes that is correct, I needed to insert my finger in her little hiney), and apply preparation H and keep her apart for the others because they will peck at it and they could peck so hard that it would pull it out and eventually pull her intestines out!

It was first thing this morning, still in pajamas and I feel the urgent need to take care of this because time is of the essence. I send a text message to my neighbor at 7:45 in the morning that says this, "random question but do you have any rubber gloves? My chicken has a butt problem". I didn't get a response right away but when I did she said that was the funniest text she has ever received! :) I decided I would put her in the garage to keep her apart from the others since I didn't really have any other area. I pulled out all the supplies needed, minus the prep H (thankfully I don't have that on hand :)) I bring her in the house and it's gone!! Seriously gone. I was so thankful I didn't have to do any of what I had prepared myself to do! And yes, it was the right chicken because I tied a little string on her leg yesterday so I would know for sure.


Cadence took this picture of me this morning after finding out she was fine...at least for now. It will probably come back especially when she actually starts to push out eggs. So I'll have to keep a eye on her. I'm really hoping it's healed up and I'll forget it ever happened.
The joys of owning chickens! :)



1 comment:

Jill said...

Wow, I wish I was there to have witnessed this in person! I can't stop laughing!