Contributors

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Frazzled

I'm really only posting this so that I can vent my frustration!
Ughhh, I just left Target and had all the kids with me. They had brought some of their own money to spend and had picked out some treats. Well we were standing in line to check out and Cadence goes and hits Dylan in the face with her candy treat (a princess candy necklace). I then told her that she lost her treat and she responded with "I"ll say sorry". Which in most cases I may have let her keep the treat since she was so quick and on her own want to say sorry. But she had already been on the naughty spot two times today (which is super uncommon for her) for not having kind hands. The news of the treat being taken away was obviously very upsetting to her and she proceeds to scream/cry. I just let her cry and throw her little fit and waited for our turn to check out. I did get down and talk to her and she would stop her fit during that time but as soon as she realized that she still wasn't getting her treat, she would start in with the crying again.
We finally check out and when I actually had to remove the candy from her hand. Her yelling is now not just crying but saying, "I don't want to". I walk out the door and am met by a woman in her 60's who leans down and looks Cadence in the face and says, "you know what, I don't want to hear your yelling!" in a nasty voice. I then say to her, "Don't ever speak to another persons child that way". And she says to me that I need to shop somewhere else because no one wants to hear her crying. It takes a lot for me to get worked up but I was instantly in defense mode of my child. We exchanged a few more words and I walked away. The lady behind me at least was kind and she chimed in by telling the lady she had no right to talk to me that way and that if she didn't like kids that she should shop somewhere else. I got in my car and was literally shaking.
I of course don't approve of the way Cadence was acting and I guess should try to be more aware the people around me and the way they feel about the situation verses not caring what they think. But tonight was the first time I've ever had someone be so in my face and rude.
Dylan said his night was ruined because that lady scared him so much. I responded with "don't let someone else not being nice ruin your day". I guess I should listen to my own advice. :)

2 comments:

Cydney Kyhn said...

WOW! How rude of that lady! I would've have reacted the same exact way you did had I been in that situation. I often wonder about why people are such grumps! I'm so sorry you had a rough day, you handled it great! You are an amazing mother and your children will remember how strong you were defending them and will appreciate it later in life.

joannburkholder said...

Well, to have a happy thought. Dylan just told me he tried to give grandpa a coupon for cookies, so he didn't have to steal cookies from me. Such a sharer.
mom