Contributors

Monday, January 10, 2011

Garden

This weekend we continued to work outside this time building a raised bed garden. I have always wanted a "real" garden. I've planted things here and there but they never really did well, so I am so excited to have a real garden bed!
I have been so blessed to have been able to talk to a lady named Jill (great name :)) on the phone and by email (her amazing house was on the garden tour we went on a few weeks ago and she has a great blog called www.sweetlifegarden.com). She was so helpful to us with the chickens and also garden advice. She and her husband have lots of raised beds and use a layering method that allows you to not have to prepare the soil underneath where you are planning on putting your bed. It is soooo simple and there is no back breaking work involved!
Mark (and Dylan) built the structure for me. You can't really tell in the picture but there is just grass growning where we put the box.

Then you lay down a bunch of layers of newspaper and get it wet. The kids liked helping out. :)


I found organic manure & compost from someones farm on Craigslist for 1/4 of the price it would have been from HomeDepot. We put down a good layer of manure...the kids thought this part was disguisting and were questioning why we were putting poop in the garden. :)
The manure will make it so that the grass will die out because it will be too hot for it to grow.



And then compost to fill the rest of the box up.
I am also planning to use hanging planters and other pots.

This is my completed little garden area. All ready for some veggies & seeds to be planted.


Can't wait to post some pictures when things are starting to grow!!

3 comments:

Jill said...

So exciting Jill! Such a great looking garden! :)

Cydney Kyhn said...

I am so excited for you! My mother always had a garden and I loved going outside with a basket to fill with veggies for our salads. Yum organic is the best!! I hope it goes well for you. Can't wait to see your blossoming garden.

Sweet Life Garden said...

Thankyou for the nice compliments! Your garden box looks just right, and ready to go. I'm so excited for you! Happy Gardening!