Contributors

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chickens have arrived!!

I have had a smile on my face all day today! This morning I decided to go to the feed store to pick up some chickens. We got 3 barred rock and 3 dominique (sp?). They are 3 1/2 month old...so we have to wait a few months before we get any eggs. I wanted this breed because I was told by a few people they are the most mild tempered. I originally was going to get full grown hens because I was impatient and wanted eggs right away but when I thought about it some more I decided to get younger (but not newborns) chicks because that way they would be use to us handling them and hopefully have a sweet personality. :)


I was so excited when by this evening they were ready to be close by us and would let us pick them up with ease!


This is our finished coop/run.

Isabelle was having so much fun. Not afraid at all...she was petting and everything.


Dylan right away was down on his hands and knees trying to handfeed them. He was excited when they came close right away. I told him they must like him a lot! :)







Cadence is our timid one and she has been pretty hesitant about being around the chickens. She will go in but as soon as a chicken comes near her she starts to cry. Hopefully soon she will feel more comfortable.



This is a video of me releasing them.


I am beyond excited about having chickens. It has been so fun to have the kids outside creating projects as we were building the coop and now playing with our new addition to the family. Stay tuned for when they start laying eggs! I can't wait!!


3 comments:

Jill said...

Your chickens are sooo cute! :)

Sweet Life Garden said...

You guys will be experts in no time. What fun!

Cydney Kyhn said...

YAY!!! so exciting. I want to come over and see them.