Contributors

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Earth Wise

Over the last few months I have made a few little changes to try to be more earth conscious. Here are a few things that have changed in our house...


-We no longer use paper towels. I thought it would be a lot harder than it has been...I really don't miss them. Mark just asked me again today to buy them just for him to use, I guess he misses them more than me. Sorry Mark, no more in our house. :)



-We now use cloth napkins. I'm planning on sewing some more with some leftover material I have, it is on the list of projects...but I'm not sure that I will get to it before Isabelle is born.






-I am trying not to use zip lock bags. I have to admit that I haven't done away with them completely but I have cut back a lot. I sewed a few cloth snack/sandwich bags, which the kids love to use.









-I started only using unrefined coconut oil for my skin. It really is amazing stuff, it cleared up my dry skin areas that I could not get rid of with lotion within 2 days of using the oil. It is great for your face, hair, skin (naturally has spf 4) and you can use the same stuff you put on your skin for cooking as well. You can buy it as Sprouts for about $10 a jar. A blog that I follow recently wrote a thing about the benefits of coconut oil, if you want to learn more about it's benefits you can read about it here



-I got rid of all my cleaning supplies and am only using vinegar & water and borax & baking soda.
I tried to do away with my dishwasher soap by only using 1TB borax and 1TB baking soda but it just didn't work and left a film on the dishes...they just didn't feel clean.


-I stopped buying disposable water bottles and purchased reusable bottles for the whole family.


Some day in our future we will own a compost bin for our garden soil, a worm compost bin for fertilizer and worms for our hen house where we will have fresh eggs.

My little attemps at making a differece.

3 comments:

Michawn said...

just a couple of things that i LOVE baby-wise...

we bought bumgenius cloth diapers and have been using them for about a year on and off (off because of moving and travel only). love them. we got the one size kind (bumgenius 3.0 is what they are called). http://www.bumgenius.com/one-size.php

also, got cloth nursing pads and SO SO SO wish i had known about them 6 years ago so i could've used them with the other 3 babies. sigh. oh well. these are the ones i have...LOVE LOVE LOVE them, do you hear me. i'm tempted to wear them now even though i'm done nursing. ;) kidding. https://canshop.motherease.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=14&cat=Nursing+Pads

and then of course, we make our own wipes. we've been doing that for years although we use paper towels to do so, so not sure how much that does for the earth or anything. we just like the more natural, home-made type stuff. but, at all those websites, they also sell cloths for making wipes. just thought i'd share. i'm sure you've made plans as far as baby-wise what you can do (and maybe you already did all this stuff with the other 2), but just thought i'd tell you what i did.

Jill Roberts said...

hi michawn!
i have looked at bumgenius diapers a lot and have been going back and forth about the investment of the money to get them for our last baby...yes, i am done having kiddos. :)

thanks for the link for the cloth nursing pads, i haven't looked into that at all.

there is so much stuff out there, i always love getting more ideas. :)

oh, i have another question for you. i think i remember reading on your blog a long time ago about a website or service that you are using to keep track of updates to peoples blogs...what was that. if it wasn't you, sorry. :)

Michawn said...

i use bloglines (bloglines.com)...but there are others (blogger i think even offers that service). you have to go in and just enter the blogs that you follow once...then you just go to the bloglines site every day (or every time you want to check any updates) and they give you the updates.

hope that helps.

and, yeah...i can't remember the math of the diapers for just one kid and if that would be worth it. but, i think i remember reading the math on that one chic's blog you referenced (i checked it out...very interesting).

hope you are doing well. can't wait to hear the baby news.