Contributors

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Happy Birthday Lincoln

3 years ago this morning, the excitement and anticipation of the soon coming birth of our 2nd child was heavily upon us. At about this time in the morning my mom had arrived at our house and we went for a walk around the block to see if that would help move things along (I had started labor at midnight). By about half way around our little neighborhood block my contractions were about every 3 - 4 minutes apart and I wasn't able to walk during them, before the walk they were not that strong. I probably should have left for the hospital right away but no, I still wanted to take a shower and eat a little something. So we probably left about a hour later...just in time for me to start pushing. I started pushing about 15 minutes after I arrived at the hospital and another 20 or so minutes later our child was born. Another boy!! The excitement of just having a child is something that is not explainable with words. Instant love for someone that only God can create. Instant bond, knowing that you would do anything for this little life. Instant protection, that you would lay your life down to protect this innocent life you are holding.

A few hours later while Lincoln was in the nursery getting cleaned up the nurse came in and said to Mark and I that she had something she needed to talk to us about. I can still vividly remember my body tensing up and the anxiety arriving instantly. She then proceeded to explain what condition they thought our son had...then the blow that literally made me want to throw up, "we don't expect your son to live longer than 48 hours".

Tears came pouring out as Mark crawled in the bed with me, we held each other and wept. Wept, our bodies shaking uncontrollably for a long long time.

June 19th 2006 will always be remembered as a amazing day.

Love always conquers.


These pictures were taken right after he was born.















5 comments:

Rachael Schepemaker said...

Jill, your story makes me cry. Even the thought of you seeing him in heaven again doesn't seem to be enough at the moment. But I know we can't live life based on our emotions. We have to live life based on TRUTH. I thought you knew about his condition before he was born. Was there not a way to see this on the ultrasound? Lincoln is so special. Thank you for sharing his story...what a way to celebrate his life.

Jill Roberts said...

We didn't know about his condition because we had decided not to get a ultrasound during his pregnancy and his heartbeat before he was born was always normal.

It was God's grace that we didn't know before. I was able to enjoy my pregnancy, had an amazing birth and a few hours with him before he was hooked up to a bunch of machines.

Thanks for sharing.

Mommy & Daddy Kennedy said...

We love you Jill! We miss Lincoln. It's such an honor to read your thoughts about your sweet little boy. We can't wait to meet his little sister.

Jo said...

Thank you, Lincoln, for your wonderful debut into the world. Although short lived, you made a difference in my life. Happy birthday!

mneme said...

yes, thank you, Lincoln.