Contributors

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Lincoln's Birthday

 Our tradition that Dylan created for our family continued this year with making cupcakes and sharing one together as a family. This year Dylan and Cadence made the batter while Isabelle was napping. They did a great job of working together and of course trying out by finger licking during the process. :)
 Then they frosted and decorated and we had with our lunch. 
I love that our kids include Lincoln as part of our family when they are talking in conversation. It is something that I had always wanted after we lost Lincoln. I didn't want him to just be a memory that Mark and I had...but that he was and is apart of our family legacy even though he isn't here with us now.


 I also got a tattoo in memory on his birthday day. I've been thinking about it for a long time and I always knew that I wanted this phrase...Weeping for that which has been my delight.
I had read it after Lincoln passed away as a quote on one of the Hospice information papers.
I really love the way it turned out.
I also wanted to include in this post what I wrote on Facebook the morning of his birthday...

7 years ago I was headed to the hospital around this time. The night before I stayed home with my labor slowly progressing. When I got to the hospital and was checked the nurse went into full panic mode...about 20 minutes later our 2nd born son was born. There is something so magical about the moment you get to hold your child. To know they are your responsibility, that you will create so many memories together, that you instantly are in love.

At this moment of joy there was never a thought that by the end of the afternoon I would be in such grief over the news the doctor delivered to us. The doctor's exact words are vague in my memory...I heard "your son has a genetic condition" and then I heard the words "he will probably only live 48 hours". Mark crawled in the hospital bed with me, we held each other and wept. Wept for a long time.

Our son was strong and lived for 18 days.
18 days of heartache.
18 days of joy.
18 days of life changing love.
So thankful for every moment I was able to have him.

Weeping for that which has been my delight.

No comments: