Contributors

Monday, August 9, 2010

First Day of School

Today was Dylan's first day of school. He had been pretty nervous about going since he met his teacher on Friday evening. The school he is going is doing a Spanish immersion program where he has half his day in English (English & History) and the other half in Spanish (Math & Science). His homeroom teacher is the Spanish teacher and she only speaks to the kids in Spanish (there is a lot of hand motions :)).

He has to wear a uniform and he definatly wasn't sure about having his shirt tucked in and was worried about when it fell out during the day and what he should do about it. :)



He was a little nervous when we got to school but as soon as we entered the classroom he was independant and felt good about being there. Once in awhile he would check to make sure I was still around (parents were allowed to stay thru the story time). It was time for the parents to leave and he gave a quick wave and smile and was feeling good.


When I picked him up from school he said he had so much fun and even loved his Spanish part. He was proud that he already was learning some new words (although I think he actually learned them from Dora the Explorer :))


I have to admit that I got teary eyed when I got home which I really wasn't expecting. I guess I realized that today marked a very significant day of my son no longer being a little boy. That he has to memorize his student id number, go to the bathroom all by himself, eat breakfast & lunch on his own, have to make friends and most importantly starting to make choices that will define his character. Wow. How one day has changed a lot for me....here's to the journey ahead with my amazing son!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Jill.... That was one of the sweetest blogs! I love the video with Dylan! You guys will cherish that one for a long time, I'm sure!

Congrats on making it through the first day!

kobie said...

oh my goodness. i can't believe he is in kindergarten. whoah! i miss you guys!