Contributors

Friday, May 6, 2011

Garden Update!

My garden is growing!



My squash plants are huge and have lots of blooms, I think we'll have so much we won't even be able to give it all away! And the lettuce and onions are doing great. The spinach for some reason just started not doing real well, I'm not sure why... and I had to dig up the peas from the planter. I think I had way too many and the roots didn't have any where to go. Lesson learned for next planting season.
I also planted some herbs in pots and have them in a area where the sun isn't as harsh, so I'm hoping they will survive a little longer than normal.


The only thing that is actually ready to eat are the radishes...I was so excited, pulled one up, cleaned it off and took a huge bite. And ughhh, I do not like radishes. I'm sure if you are a radish lover they were great. So I pulled them all up because I did not want to waste any of my precious garden real estate with something I don't like. :)

So, my mom got all of them that were ready.




I also built a new garden box along our side wall where the grass doesn't grow because the water doesn't hit that area properly. So this new box has green & sweet peppers planted and will soon have some corn transplants from my neighbors garden! I still have one more to build and those will house sweet potatoes. I'm so excited to be able to eat some of our veggies soon!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill your garden looks great! It's crazy how squash will take over, you will have a ton! Both spinich and peas are cold weather plants and will just die when it get's warm, so I'm wondering if that's what happened to them. I laughed about the radishes, I feel the same way about them and only plant them for a companion plant and them give them to my mom to eat!
Ang

Anonymous said...

your garden looks great. The radishes a good, but I don't know if we will eat them all, they are starting to wrinkle up. I can only handle a little of radishes myself. Things fresh from the garden don't keep as long as from the store it seems mom